Working from home seems like the perfect setup. You can set your own hours, dress however you feel like and you never have to worry about the traffic during rush hour. However, it is easy to get distracted. Before you know it, you are lying down on the couch watching the latest episode of your favourite TV show and telling yourself “I’m just taking a short break.” This is very common, so we came up with strategies that will help you stay focused while working from home.
1. Create A Schedule and Stick to It – Come up with your own working hours that suit you best while making time for regular short breaks and lunch. Try and resist all distractions during your dedicated work time. Put your phone on silent and log out of Facebook.
2. Dress Up – Instead of trying to get work done wearing (comfy) pyjamas, take a shower and get dressed as if you were going into an actual office. Your outfit is one of the factors that will help boost your motivation and productivity.
3. Don’t Work on The Couch – Using your couch or bed as your work-space will have you fidgeting a lot while trying to be as comfortable as possible. It is also easy to dose off. Therefore, it is important to have a dedicated workspace where you can plug in your computer and keep all your files and stationery. The environment you are in will influence your focus.
4. Change of Environment – Have a regular away-from-your-work-space time to add a bit of interest to your week and potentially increase your productivity. This could be a coffee shop, or a local library where you can interact with other people.
5. Reward Yourself – Always make sure you reward yourself for sticking to your schedule or meeting a deadline. An example would be with your favourite dessert or the latest Shonda Rhimes. The anticipation of the reward will motivate you and possible make you work faster.
We would love to hear from you. Tell us how you stay productive when working from home. Comment below.