What is Banting
Banting is a way of eating food which is low in carbohydrates, high in healthy fats and that has regular amounts of proteins. Banting began when a very obese man William Banting a British undertaker desperately wanted to lose weight. In the year 1862 his doctor William Harvey proposed a radical eating plan that was high in fat but included very few carbohydrates. By following this eating plan Banting experienced such remarkable weight loss that he wrote an open letter to the public, the Letter on Corpulence, which became widely distributed. As more people started following this eating plan to lose weight Banting became popular.
How does Banting Work?
By increasing your fat intake, reducing your Carbohydrate intake and cutting out sugars your body goes into a state of Ketosis. While in ketosis your body switches energy sources and instead of using Cabs as energy your body will use your fat reserve instead.
To enter Ketosis, according to Tim Noakes’s the Real Revolution one must eat under 50g of carbs a day until you reach your satisfactory weight. Then slowly increase carbs by including more orange list items. The Orange List is made up of foods that have both notable health benefits and a potential role to play in hindering weight loss if their consumption is not controlled.
Weight loss should be maintained for at least a year to successfully keep off weight but bear in mind if you go back to eating what you did before banting you will find yourself in the same boat as when you started your banting journey. Banting is a lifestyle and if you want to stay well wave away those carbs and sugars.
Getting started with Banting:
Banting involves eating REAL food, as close to its natural state as possible and the best quality you can comfortably afford. A typical day’s eating plan would look like this;
- Breakfast – 2 Eggs fried in butter and spinach
- Lunch – Tuna and avocado on salad greens
- Dinner – Roast chicken (skin on), green beans drizzled with olive oil and red peppers roasted in coconut oil.
- Energy Levels go up. You experience a burst of energy that you didn’t have before!
- Fewer Cravings. This is because when you eat high fat keeps you satisfied longer, and when you do feel like a snack there’s a wide variety of low carb snack you can enjoy.
- Weigh Loss, since your body is now using Fat as an energy source, it will burn off any extra weight you might be carrying around.
- It reduces your blood sugar levels and insulin levels
The list is endless. To lose weight long term and to successfully maintain the weight loss, you should maintain your goal weight for at least a year. Be patient, follow your particular Banting diet and it will work out.